Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pâques 2013: des hommes et des dieux

Each Easter makes me think of 2 events : the resurrection of Jesus and my first date with JM 6 Easters ago.



However, today I'd like to talk about the film Des hommes et des dieux (Xavier Beauvois, 2010) I've seen this week. As I am not good at writing critical movie reviews, I found a decent one at IMDb and I'll share the critic's thoughts that I agree with.

"The film is slow in parts. Sometimes it's needed to establish the rhythm of the monks' lives, but other times getting repetitive with no seeming advantage...

Besides the two main characters, the other monks are largely one-note sketches, and the sudden turn around of those who wanted to leave – maybe the most fascinating action in the film - is largely under explored...

But my biggest problem is that the film's style, while inviting thought, is somewhat emotionally distancing, so while my brain was deeply engaged, my heart was less than I wish it was...

Now, all that said, I still think that this is a very, very good film, made with intelligence and passion. It is visually simple but stunning to look at. Its slow pace adds to the meditative, un-Hollywood feel and allows us a taste of the peace these men experience by living in their simple, giving way, even in the midst of war...

Ultimately, this is a film that deserves and needs to be seen."

No comments:

Post a Comment