Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Book to read in 2016

I've decided to create a post where throughout this year I'll be adding books to read in 2016. I'll try to update it each time I hear of a new good book or an old classic I haven't read.

12. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (1939)



11. The Cancer Whisperer by Sophie Sabbage. I've just heard an interview with the author in BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour and this woman sounds calm, courageous and honest.

10. Дядя Ваня, пьеса Антона Павловича Чехова 1896 года. Ну и все Чехова хочется перечитать.





9. Aldous Huxley Brave New World, published in 1932. Added on the advice of Monsieur Paul after our conversation about Nineteen Eighty-Four by English George Orwell




8. Tennessee Williams A Streetcar Named Desire is a 1947 play which received the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1948.
Yesterday (27.01) I saw Mankiewicz's Suddenly, Last Summer (1959) a scary drama based on another Tennessee Williams's play.



7. D H Lawrence Women in Love (1920).
1969 Ken Russell's film adaption, which I've seen recently, is very interesting.



6. An updated account of Elmyr de Hory's life appears in Mark Forgy The Forger's Apprentice: Life with the World's Most Notorious Artist (2012). Could be a fun read too..



5. After Orson Welles's F for Fake I'm curious to read the art forger Elmyr's biography written by another forger Clifford Irving:
Clifford Irving Fake: the story of Elmyr de Hory: the greatest art forger of our time (1969)



4. Booth Tarkington The Magnificent Ambersons (1919)
 After seeing Orson Welles's great film you definitely want to read the story it's based on. I do.



3. Linn Ullmann (Ingmar Berman and Liv Ullmann's daughter) A Blessed Child (2005)



2. Mary Finnigan Psychedelic Suburbia (will be published on Friday January'8 2016) - added 16.01.07 after the BBC radio 4 interview with Mary Finnigan



1. Elizabeth Strout Olive Kitteridge (2008) - the Time Year Ahead issue announces her fifth novel, My Name is Lucy Barton, which will be published in 2016 but I'd like to start with the one that won the Pullitzer Prize



No comments:

Post a Comment