Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Rio Grande

It's been 2 weeks since we got back from our vacation but I'm still being lazy and don't feel like writing, sewing, reading or movie watching... I did all of it during the break though so you'll hear about it in my blog pretty soon, I hope.

I still have some pre-vacation things to catch up with. One of them is Rio Grande (1950), a Western directed by John Ford and the third film in the Cavalry trilogy following She wore a yellow ribbon (1949) and Fort Apache (1948).

Another well-known fact about the film is that Ford hadn't planned to make it. He'd wanted to make The Quiet Man for years and all major studios turned him down. Republic Pictures agreed to let him shoot The Quiet Man but first they wanted a western that would guarantee them a quick profit.


I'll probably remember this film by a great romance between John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. Their characters have depth and the actors give really heartfelt performances. Ford regulars like Victor McLaglen and Ben Johnson also appear in supporting roles and have remarkable scenes.


There's a lot of wonderful singing performed by The Sons of the Pioneer.






No comments:

Post a Comment