Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Les contes de la lune vague après la pluie



I was surprised to hear my student say she was going to see Ugetsu Monogatori / Les contes de la lune vague après la pluie at the Cinématèque tonight. Surprised because I wouldn't consider her the sort of a person interested in the cinema and also because I've recently seen this movie too. My husband and his friend exchanged their 25 best movies lists around the New Year's Eve and it made me want to see their favorites. Both are great cinéphiles.

I've just found out that the same actress played in Ugetsu and Sansho the Bailiff. She's amazing. Kinuyo Tanaka. There's so much simplicity and tenderness about her.

Ah, I wish I could find words to describe this film. Beauty, depth, love, death..  And though Ugetsu is set in the 16th century and tells us stories revolving around peasants, 4 centuries later it remains up-to-date, fresh, stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment